to go back on that slightly, no one is completely useless. you'll always need people to cut
your hair and mow lawns and make useless radio programs to listen to while you get on with
trouble is, these people are rarely interesting.
so to get some definitions sorted out let's say
USEFUL = INTERESTING
now you could say that this was a selfish definition since I'm basically saying that a person's
usefulness is directly related to my interest in him/her....
hmmmm....and I care because ???
(note - if you meet your mates in pubs, don't bother to read on)
me and my best friend came up with a theory a long time ago only to have it rocked to the very core by
a throwaway statement from my mother.
well it survived and here we go. (first and last time in writing)
this is in a childish tone - but since it is a child's prerogative to
no one else will speak (paraphrasing Neil Gaiman slightly) - I'll let it stand.
that's it. (that's it...it...ha ha)
- there's this thing we'll call it which people either have or don't have.
- if you have it you can see it in other people and vice versa (of course...)
- if you don't have it then lots of shit happens
- if you're daft then ignorance is bliss applies so you're fine
- if you have a modicum of intelligence then you're screwed cause you'll hate the people who
told you it was childish.
i can quote Harlan Ellison this time, from the introduction to Mr. Gaiman's 'Season of Mists'
Excellence in the untalented and ordinary produces pleasure and awe while in the minimally talented it produces hatred and envy.
ha. i'm on a roll now so I'll add in the final bit which is all just a rework of the same thing
(you can see we have far too much time on our hands...)
the way i see it confidence splits into two types...
if you're not sure which you are you're group (a)...
- (a) system bred - these are the people who lead lives in big groups convincing themselves they're cool
you know them - they make noise at bars, go out to dinner in multiple boy/girl pairs - they further split into leaders and followers
but it's all the same shit...
- (b) spirit led- that's the ones the boys above hate. they steal their women and their pride.
worst of all they don't want to belong to their group and their mere
existence serves as a reminder of the inadequacies the system bred approach.
(not sexist - just male - substitute if necessary)
if you're group (b) welcome to the club.
(which one day I will actually get around to setting up - takes so long to find cool people otherwise)
be the latter. eat the former. later.